It is Spring and thus Spring Cleaning has hit Elephants Wind.
New art is available! Like what you see? Click on the link to make a bid! Happy Bidding!
- Cypress Tree Landscape inspired by Van Gogh (artinactiontoronto.com)
- London street renamed for famous lodger Van Gogh (standard.co.uk)
- Van Gogh’s Studio? (studiolightblue.com)
- More on Van Gogh (stardustartstudio.com)
- WomenClothingToday.com Commemorates the 160th Birthday of Vincent Van Gogh on Silk (prweb.com)
- Vino Van Gogh fundraising (lilyreed.wordpress.com)
- Lend Him an Ear: Van Gogh on Content Marketing (business2community.com)
- Van Gogh and the Olive Tree (daydreamtourist.com)
- Grade 4: Van Gogh (cassandrabarbone.wordpress.com)
Visual design is often the polar opposite of engineering: trading hard edges for subjective decisions based on gut feelings and personal experiences. Itâ€™s messy, unpredictable, and notoriously hard to measure. The apparently erratic behavior of artists drives engineers bananas. Their decisions seem arbitrary and risk everything with no guaranteed benefit.
- Let’s get visual! (earthseaconsulting.wordpress.com)
- BDwest Conference Sessions Announced: A Visual and Educational Feast Awaits Attendees (prweb.com)
- Visual Language (lisarivero.com)
- Budgeting: A Visual Guide to How Small Cutbacks Lead to Great Savings (quicken.intuit.com)
- Through The Braille Challenge, Blind and Visually Impaired Students See Their Way Toward Helping Others (prweb.com)
- 5 Great Infographic Websites (dailygraphix.wordpress.com)
- DMV.us.org Launches New Web Design for More Modern Look (prweb.com)
- PT Zug Industry Selects Intergraph SmartPlant Enterprise (prnewswire.com)
- Data Visualization Panel Discussion: MIT SSAC13 (roughlynormal.wordpress.com)
- Design is Everything. (shopstanzino.com)
The most innovative designers consciously reject the standard option box and cultivate an appetite for thinking wrong.” Marty Neumeier
- Neumeier’s Nijinsky: Ballet Review (thebookybunhead.wordpress.com)
- The Designful Company (brandautopsy.typepad.com)
- words for the week (notetoselfblog.com)
- Thought of the Day (darmano.typepad.com)
- FRIDAY Market Expert Interview — Get to know Marty Kearney CBOE Instructor (optionsanimal.com)
- Thinking, Humility Vs Pride (thesearch4truth.wordpress.com)
- The Classy Chassys preview song from upcoming album (ominocity.com)
- Another Trip Around the Internetosphere (heehawmarketing.typepad.com)
- Nutri-Force Nutrition Launches New Reformulated Brazilian Diet; New Diet Safely Targets Metabolism, Appetite and Energy (prweb.com)
- Best books on social media for business (peterjthomson.com)
Music is moving, inspirational, enchanting and can get you off your rear to get moving.
Need some new tunes? Click on the link below for a favorite play list of Elephants Wind.
- Meet the new Monster DNA headphones (bestbuymobile.com)
- PEACE, LOVE and FREE EARRINGS FRIDAY! (ahimsadesigns.com)
- I need money – You need practice music. Let’s Talk! (txcowboydancer.com)
- Gallows Poll – Help Us Out with Our First Reader’s Poll. (crutch.me)
- Easy Beaded Hoop Earrings and Pendant Tutorials (beadinggem.com)
- Shell Essences – False Ear SHell (mediumail.wordpress.com)
- Aristotle House (arubsaqib.wordpress.com)
- Causes (rosaliebardo.com)
- VIDEO: What Aristotle and Joshua Bell can teach us about public persuasion (venturevillage.eu)
- Three Elements of Great Communication, According to Aristotle (blogs.hbr.org)
- What Aristotle and Joshua Bell can teach us about persuasion (popalx.wordpress.com)
- Esquire:Your Evening Jemmy (esquire.com)
- Esquire:Dancing On The Same String (esquire.com)
- Essence, Accident and the Problem of Identity Politics (spiritualadvocate.wordpress.com)
- Print Labels on the Go with the LT Label Design Workstation ADD-ON Now Offered Through Creative Safety Supply (prweb.com)
- Your Morning Dooley (esquire.com)
Here are some helpful resources to kick of your designing new year with a bang.
- GAIAMTV.COM Launches Complimentary 30-Day Connect 2 Happiness Campaign (prweb.com)
- Happy New Year! Quintessentially Travel have the top New Year’s resolutions and the top celebrity destinations for 2013 to match. (prweb.com)
- The 7 Things Blog Tour: Your Best And Happiest Year Yet! (brendalineblogs.wordpress.com)
- Happy New Moon Kick Starts 2013 (thriveonnews.com)
- Happy New Year (somethingpositivemusic.wordpress.com)
- New, Happy, Shiny Year, part 1 (themommygauntlet.com)
- Happy New Year! (simplybeblog.co.uk)
- Happy New Year 2013 (platinumgames.com)
- Making Aging Parents Happy: How A Good Friend Helps – and Why (helpparentsagewell.com)
- Happy New Year! (sweetteaandsunshine.com)
Flexability: a term often used in the performing arts but what about in the job arena? No, I am not asking you to start balancing on a hi beam or bend over to touch your toes before hurdling over three desk chairs into a sumersault. Unless a person is employed in a cirucs, at a dance studio, or in the Cirque De Soleil, physical flexabity isn’t usually a job requirement (at least that I am aware of, anyway.)
Job flexability, though, can and should be a critiqual component of your skill set. Why?
Well, by accident and god’s grace alone, I discovered that a flexible attitude and skill set creates a diverse working enviroment for one’s self. How so? Hmm, where to begin.
I work at a dairy–yes, the kind with black and white cows, milking machines, and lots of grain. Why, when I possess a degree in Graphic Design/Advertising, would I work at a dairy? To milk it for all its worth, udderly ridicoulous right?
Yes, periodically I do design work at the dairy but I love what I do–work outside with baby calves. This is the adabtability, the conforming to a calling that I didn’t know existed prior in my life–work that I love and enjoy. Adapting has broadened my horizons considerably while providing a sustainable income for me. I never thought that a dairy could bring so much happiness to my life. But what about Design? Simple–simple observation allows me to identify each calf from the markings on her pelt, re-organize data sheets and format a cohesive design of structure–natures own design.
Every Saturday, I work in the office, which is nice–yet, even sitting at the desk I yearn to be out with the babies. Flexability allows me the skills and the open minded to work in various area of the dairy as needed but one thing remains the same, I never dread coming into work.
My advice: allow yourself wiggle room, explore new venues, and see what paths open up in your future.
- Premier Dairies Ltd buys more land (stuff.co.nz)
- Hiland Dairy “Hometown Holiday Cookie Giveaway 2012″ (accordingtorachel.com)
- Govt. readies 20-yr strategy for husbandry and dairy development (thehimalayantimes.com)
- This NH family is all about Dairy (sannekurejensen.wordpress.com)
- Ankle Sprain Rehab Exercises-Flexability & Strengthening (barbellbetty.com)
- Newly Released Book Is Helping Dance Studio Owners Worldwide Discover The Blueprint For Success (prweb.com)
- imabonehead: Sweet Freedom: Blueberry Dessert Scones (freedomsweetfreedom.blogspot.ca)
- Vote for Team Dairy (dairycarrie.com)
- Valley dairy operators to rally at Capitol seeking help (fresnobee.com)
- In Dairy Industry Consolidation, Lush Paydays (perishablenews.com)
Farming and Fibonacci–the correlation is every-where. Can you spot the correlations?
All photos were taken by me (Anna Potthoff) and are courtesy of Cornerstone Farms, LLC, Colorado.
- S&P 500 Index – A spooky chart just in time for Halloween! (optionsanimal.com)
- Bella Quiz: Do You Know Where Your Spots Stem From? (bellasugar.com)
- How Do You Say It? Take My Beauty Pronunciation Quiz (bellasugar.com)
- The Hills Beauty Quiz: “Once A Player” (bellasugar.com)
- Gbp/usd Outlook (5starstrading.wordpress.com)
Making a mountain out of a mole hill is common affliction for many suffering from a messy workspace, a cluttered desk or a huge pile of unidentifable stuff, mounting higher and higher every day. Common excuses I hear for the mess, the clutter, and oh the horrors of ever growing clutter are a few such as:
- I am so busy
- I am rarely at my desk
- That is just a catch all
- Junk Drawer/desk/landing
- It was there when I got here/If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it
- Its functional
A messy, cluttered, or “dump site” of a workstation can be overwhelming as well as being asethetically unappealing (espeically to customers/clients whom seen it as a weakness and/or as an issues–with the mindset of “if they can’t keep their space straight, how do they manage to keep clients, deadlines, projects, etc straight? Will they loose components of my project? How can they find anything0? Will this projeet get treated the same way and shuffeled amaongst the chaos?)
First impressions go a long way, not only for the client/customer but also for the employees, staffing, and for one’s own personal morale. Even if accustomed to a messy space, a new habit can be incorporated. Does it have to be grande? No nor does it have to be expensive or costly to make the conversion–although a bit of effort and “re training” is required.
Tips for re-structuring a messy desk, work station, office, or room are easily done–making the habit takes more practice!
- Clear the way for Productivity (elephantswind.wordpress.com)
- Is Your Desk Destroying Your Productivity? (openforum.com)
- Things I’ve Quit Doing at My Desk (lifehacker.com)
- 10 Simple Steps to Conquering Your Messy Desk (lifehack.org)
- Minimising distractions – 10 top tips (simplybusiness.co.uk)
- Workstation desks that don’t wobble?! (gearslutz.com)
- Things I’ve quit doing at my desk (justinjackson.ca)
- 5 Steps to a Clean & Tidy Desk (apartmenttherapy.com)
- ADAPTable – the sliding tile puzzle of workstations (gizmag.com)
- How Can I Make The Most of My Meager Desk Space? [Ask Lifehacker] (lifehacker.com)
Classes, for those whom are in school or about to start, are in full swing and a bit of a refresher for students, or those already in the field, can always use a refresher as a way of tweaking their skills (or remembering what is to be applied.) Skills, liked muscles, not used are lost and forgotten (which is a darn shame!)
Celtic Thunder (the awesome Irish group) is coming to Denver, Colorado, on November 17, 2012–needless to say I am very excited. Why? Their sound is amazing, and honestly, the group is very handsome. Yes, I am hoping to buy tickets soon for the concert.
So, in lieu of a normal quiz/test, please view the following videos and give yourself the P & E test:
1. What are common elements?
2. What is the branding consistency?
3. Identify the color schemes used.
4. What Gestalt principles apply?
5. Does the Golden mean apply to the music? Performance? Explain.
Good Luck and have fun.
- Celtic Thunder Lead This Week’s New Releases (noise11.com)
- Bella Quiz: Beauty in Numbers (bellasugar.com)
- Bella Quiz: St. Patrick’s Day Beauty Fun (bellasugar.com)
- How Do You Say It? Take My Beauty Pronunciation Quiz (bellasugar.com)
- Sensitive to Questions Quiz #14: “Dinner at ’21′. Seven O’Clock.” (homeprojectionist.com)
- Gossip Girl Beauty Quiz: “Seventeen Candles” (bellasugar.com)
- Bella Quiz: All About Shu Uemura (bellasugar.com)
While driving up to the mountains from the plains last evening with my family, the discussion of billboards arose (as we passed many along the way.)
A person commented on how this particular sign always caught her attention. I agree, it was very effective. It showed two very large, but proportionate, blue eyes staring right at the passerby’s. It clearly conveyed its message that it was highly visible, noticeable, and a lot of people would see it. The ploy? “Advertise Here”. The “spot” was empty (except for the advertising company advertising for itself.)
Why does it work? It ensnares the viewer, it is memorable, and it conveys the message, loud and clear but within in a micro second–while having very simple but incredibly rendered art visuals. IT wasn’t complicated but very effective as it draws the audience in, captivating and wow.
That, my friend, is effective advertising.
- CC Media sues El Paso over billboards (mysanantonio.com)
- The Future of Advertising (Will Be Squirted Into Your Nostrils as You Sit on a Bus) (theatlantic.com)
- How do you explain advertising to a 5-year-old? (cmch.typepad.com)
- Facebook advertisers forced to vet user comments (telegraph.co.uk)
- Social media pages are ‘ads’ (theage.com.au)
- Pandora: Gaining Audience, Losing Value? (seekingalpha.com)
- See The Results Of “Brandalism,” The World’s First Collaborative Act Of Ad Subversion (fastcocreate.com)
- Gas industry advertising shifts toward issues (fuelfix.com)
- UK Digital Advertising Spend is Growing in 2012 (geobrava.wordpress.com)
- Cougar-Dating Billboard, Like Cougars, Isn’t for Everyone (adweek.com)
- SMP Australia Welcomes Our Advertisers + Discounts! (stylemepretty.com)
- Beauty Flashback: Finesse (bellasugar.com)
- Mac Miller Sued by Lord Finesse for $10 Million (rollingstone.com)
- Mac Miller Spoke To Lord Finesse, But He Is Still Being Sued (complex.com)
- Expert Review: Samsung Finesse Metro PCS Cell Phone (samsung.com)
- Rostrum Records Responds To Lord Finesse Lawsuit (hiphopwired.com)
- Lord Finesse Is Suing Mac Miller For $10 Million Over Sample (subzinfo.wordpress.com)
- Lord Finesse Is Suing Mac Miller For $10 Million (complex.com)
- Hip-Hop Icon Lord Finesse Suing Mac Miller, Rostrum Records and DatPiff For $10 Million (allhiphop.com)
- Finessing one big banking union for Europe (japantimes.co.jp)
Ever wonder what makes designer tick? how to balance things out? Wondering how to perfect the Principles and Elements in a piece? Use the fibonnaci.
Here is what Wikipedia has to say on Fibonnaci:
A Fibonacci spiral created by drawing circular arcs connecting the opposite corners of squares in the Fibonacci tiling; this one uses squares of sizes 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, and 34. See golden spiral.
By definition, the first two numbers in the Fibonacci sequence are 0 and 1, and each subsequent number is the sum of the previous two.
In mathematical terms, the sequence Fn of Fibonacci numbers is defined by the recurrence relation
with seed values
The Fibonacci sequence is named after Leonardo of Pisa, who was known as Fibonacci. Fibonacci’s 1202 book Liber Abaci introduced the sequence to Western European mathematics, although the sequence had been described earlier in Indian mathematics. (By modern convention, the sequence begins with F0 = 0. The Liber Abaci began the sequence with F1 = 1, omitting the initial 0, and the sequence is still written this way by some.)
Fibonacci numbers are closely related to Lucas numbers in that they are a complementary pair of Lucas sequences. They are intimately connected with the golden ratio, for example the closest rational approximations to the ratio are 2/1, 3/2, 5/3, 8/5, … . Applications include computer algorithms such as the Fibonacci search technique and the Fibonacci heap data structure, and graphs called Fibonacci cubes used for interconnecting parallel and distributed systems. They also appear in biological settings, such as branching in trees, phyllotaxis (the arrangement of leaves on a stem), the fruit spouts of a pineapple, the flowering of artichoke, an uncurling fern and the arrangement of a pine cone.
Just remember to apply it to everything and it should work out just fine.
- Fibonacci Numbers and the Golden Section (guapotg.wordpress.com)
- Fibonacci numbers (wed-gie.com)
- What is the Fibonacci Sequence and Why is it Famous? (scientificamerican.com)
- Fibonacci multiples, solution 1 (mathlesstraveled.com)
- The secret of the Fibonacci sequence. (ilgridodallaflorence.wordpress.com)
- Math Fun for Kids: The Mathematics of Spirals (pragmaticmom.com)
- The Elliott Wave Principle – An Analysis (fxfocus.wordpress.com)
- Fibonacci Sequence Interview Question (smallcaveat.wordpress.com)
- Tell a Fib and Win a Prize (wordswewomenwrite.wordpress.com)
- How to Use the Golden Ratio to Take Better Pictures (scientificamerican.com)
All things considered, I would like to invited you all to share, volunteer, donate–or visit Riddles Elephant Sanctuary in Arkansas. It is an amazing place doing outstanding things–an experience you will never forget.
Click on Elephant Sanctuary to learn more, see photo’s, and find ways you can take part.
Yes, design can be function, not just for play.
Recently, a farmer (yes, a farmer) contacted me to help layout and design a chicken coop for the limited space. The challenge? Creating a space for over 150 chicks–not only to roost, feed, and grow but to later lay eggs and flourish as hens.
Here is a rough design I came up with the limited space. More will follow with the details.
- Bear in the chicken coop (ourhomeinthewoods.wordpress.com)
- Posh Poultry Pads – Hus 1 is a Contemporary Chicken Coop on Sweden’s West Coast (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Chicken Coop – North Side (ourhomeinthewoods.wordpress.com)
- chicken coop buildings pictures (ethelbertdougla.typepad.com)
- The Critter Gun (millerbeachblog.com)
- Golden spiral chicken coop (hackaday.com)
- Swooping Swedish Chicken Coop With a Sea View (treehugger.com)
- CHICKEN COOP (fortress) west facing wall (ourhomeinthewoods.wordpress.com)
- Girl allegedly forced in chicken coop for months (wtvm.com)
- Best Way To Build A Chicken Coop (animaltopics.com)
Yes, graphic design is transferable–in every which way.
Recently, I moved across country–literally spotting many identical design pieces and themes across the nation as I drove (yes, I braved the highways and bi-ways of this wonderful, American nation alone, driving over 1800 miles.)
The politics may vary from state to state, the regional foods may differ, and the cliche expressions slightly differ as one travels but America, as a nation, sticks together for design–
There is no denying who we are–Red, White and Blue.
Graduation is just a week away; 7 days til the Design program wraps up and the degree is officially earned (assuming this last week doesn’t keel me over!)
Attending college for an associates degree has taught me volumes and just not from the text book side of things, either. A few lessons I have learned while in college:
- Math is everywhere, in everything. It’s a good thing I can calculate and count.
- Time Management is critical, inside and outside of the classroom
- Fibonacci is awesome.
- Color Theory is a very important fundamental.
- Craftsmanship heavily counts and is important
- Team work is challenging but rewarding. I still prefer to work with two or fewer people on a team.
- Design industry is seemingly infinite when it comes to niches for employment
- Design is not personal and shouldn’t be taken as such. It is business.
Attending a local community has been valuable while also being affordable for broke students still living at home or for the working adult whom has outside responsibilities beyond getting an education. Is it easy going back to college as a working adult? Hell no as it piles on the stress on top of an already busy schedule. Stability goes out the window in many circumstance and your sweetheart asks why you never cook dinner any more while you are working on projects at the kitchen table.
Some one expressed to me that “while attending college and earning a degree, it is the heaviest burden you will carry. Once you graduate and have that degree, it is one of the most valuable and lightest things you will carry for the rest of your life. No one can take it from you.” Can’t wait.
Greetings! Since Elephants Wind is all about design, sharing a few logos created and put in my porfolio, sharing only seemed the next step. Want to see more? Go to my Portfolio
Graphic Design can be stressful, annoying, and a real headache–not including those “sticky” clients whom want it all at a rock bottom price and have the project done in no time flat or on “the fly” as their boss needed it yesterday.
Laughter is the “best medicine” for so much in this world. It can ease stress, prevent a designer from slapping their co-worker, or drop kicking their adobe creative suite out the fourth story window alongside spec sheets and client files.
Why might this be? Laughter, in my opinion, is a positive distraction, enough for any person to forget about, even momentarily, the chaos that also ensues with stress and craziness of designing. Even the most organized and efficient designers get “stuck” and stressed out at times.
While hasing over a design for a yard, with my faithful assitant at my side (aka my 15 year old cousin), I was beyond frazzeled as the existing landscape wasn’t anything of what the customer had “quoted” me.
After getting some rudimentary, fundamental clear out work done, my assistant and I had lunch. He proceeded to tell me how to enjoy sunflower seeds while in class and not get in trouble while doing it. He tells me “you must chew up the shells and seeds fully so no need of spitting the hulls is necessary. If you don’t chew them up really good before swallowing, you’ll poop pine cones–very uncomfortable.”
Laughing so hard, I had diffuculty catching my breath. The result? Laughter allowed me to see the project in a new line simply because I wasn’t focused on it, even for a moment, which allowed me to re-group.
Lesson learned: Never under estimate what laughter can do for a project. Step back, laugh, and allow things to have a splash of humor.
- April 26, 2012 – A Day at a Time (cmmacneil.wordpress.com)
- Guest Post: Character Ed: Laughter – It REALLY is the Best Medicine, and Then Some (prettyopinionated.com)
- Marlo Thomas: National Humor Month: Laughing Your Way to Good Health (huffingtonpost.com)
- Let’s Laugh More (mymennonitememoir.wordpress.com)
- Ha ha haaaaaa ha (biosil.wordpress.com)
- power of laughter (dimitrisnowden.wordpress.com)
- Laughter is the Best Medicine (shineonms.wordpress.com)
- Can Humor and Laughter Boost Your Health? (my.psychologytoday.com)
- Creating Products (elephantswind.wordpress.com)
- Have a Laugh (healthywealthyhq.com)
- Stress Busters (enterprisers.in)
- Shreedhar on Huschilt’s Value of Humour Workshop (neilshreedhar.wordpress.com)
- YouSendIt dropbox for graphic designers (yousendit.com)
- Good Mood Foods. (veggiefitness.wordpress.com)
- The ABCs of Working with a Graphic Designer (for the First Time) (contentmarketinginstitute.com)
Graphic Design positions can vary greatly–from doing in house creations for a major company to freelance work for a multitude of smaller business needing smaller projects accomplished. Graphic design thus can be said to have many niches. A friend of mine makes a living by designing T-Shirts. Another classmate wants to go into pre-press management. As for me, I like custom stationary.
Take a look below at some my of work (a lot more can be seen at my Portfolio.)
- A New Degree of Difficulty: Creating Graphic Designs Online (thetechscoop.net)
- There are a number of things to remember before hiring a graphic design service. (leccoworkshop.com)
- You have to be certain that you’re working with the best designers available. (leccoworkshop.com)
- YouSendIt dropbox for graphic designers (yousendit.com)
- A significant niche chance in freelance design is user interface design. (leccoworkshop.com)
- The ABCs of Working with a Graphic Designer (for the First Time) (contentmarketinginstitute.com)
- Week One: Graphic Design (brandonstutzmandesign.wordpress.com)
- Your Response: What do you call yourself? (theindustry.cc)
- Fuse, an MSG Company, is seeking a Sr. After Effects Graphic Designer in New York, New York (core77.com)
- YouSendIt iPad app for graphic designers (yousendit.com)
Guerilla Marketing-a way to advertise products or services without being in your face or obvious about it being a sales push or advertisement.
There is a wonderful article, that states it perfectly, about Guerrilla Marketing. Click Design Stains to check it out. The author does a wonderful job of expressing what and how it is done. The video also depicts a perfect example.
- The Downside of Guerrilla Marketing-Four Things You Need to Know (startupnation.com)
- We Cover Everything (guerrillacomm.com)
- Striders everywhere (guerrillacomm.com)
- The world’s slimmest TV theft (guerrillacomm.com)
- What is Guerrilla Marketing? (link4business.info)
- How to Have the Next Money Making Guerrilla Marketing Idea (michaelhartzell.com)
- Guerrilla Marketing Techniques to Make Your Online Marketing Business Better (leccoworkshop.com)
- Walking Dead (guerrillacomm.com)
- Ikea Hadron Collider (guerrillacomm.com)
- Coming this Wednesday is an opportunity (360guerrillamarketing.com)
Composition matters. Need a refresher? Click Gestalt to see components to remember to incorporate into the design work. It even applies to those whom write, compose. Keep in mind, having fun is all part of it.
Test yourself and see if you can identify the principles in each of the pieces below.
There are, officially, 8 weeks left in this semester, the last leg of my educational journey (thus far.) I will be graduating with an Associates of Science in Advertising and Grahpic Design. I am so excited and can hardly wait–to actually be able to sleep a full 8 hours, have at least one evening off to enjoy a cup of coffee with a friend, and have Sunday dinner with family–all verses working on projects, campaigns or assignments while eating Tums to prevent acid stomach.
No complaints here, it is all very much worth the time, efforts, and stress dedicated to the venture. A degree and education is something that can not be taken away from me, which is a blessing. Plus, I learned so much more in and outside of the classroom that it has truely been an adventure. College has imprinted its own Gestalt design upon me.
The next leg of this grand adventure as the classroom chapters come to an end? Employment.
Know any one or place that is hiring? Please, do share with me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colorado Local (chick4concerts.wordpress.com)
- Colorado Local (elephantswind.wordpress.com)
- Why Do You Write?? (eternalchanges.com)
- Sunday Dinner: 7 Takes on Roast Chicken (thekitchn.com)
- Supreme Court of New South Wales=CORPORATIONS – Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) s 459G – Application to set aside statutory demand – whether affidavit accompanying application to set aside the demand discloses facts showing a genuine dispute – putting a credi (advocatemmmohan.wordpress.com)
- Favorite small “boutique” audio company? (gearslutz.com)
- Carl Machover, Computer Graphics Pioneer, Dies at 84 (prweb.com)
- How meditation can reshape our brains (and revisiting neuroplasticity) (beyondmeds.com)
- Marin Financial and Estate Planner, Harold Lustig of Estate Elder Planning Associates, Announces Veteran’s Workshop and Breakfast On a Little Known VA Benefit (prweb.com)
- First Blog Comment Assignment (unoonlinemedia.wordpress.com)
How many times has one looked for that wondering pair of scissors this week? Where is that darn image to be linked? Packaging a file for a printer/publisher? You will need all components but where are those darn font files?
Spring is just around the corner. Many consider it a time to “spring clean” the house, the office, the storage unit, the closet. And, yes, even the computer or workspace at your office or home.
What is organization mean for a designer? It is a daily, ritual must have on every level. Many students, from my experience, and beginning (even a few experienced) designers fail to recognize the signifigance of keeping the work space, files, and designs organized. I am not speaking of actual design work but having the gestalt effect is highly beneficial.
Avoiding clutter, mess, and the chaos that ensues is easily prevented by simply keeping up, maintaing an orderly enviroment on all levels. It requires minimal effort, with practice, by simply putting things back into their proper place, having files for documents, and creating folders for each client/project (label accordingly.)
Has the mess and chaos already gotten teh best of you and become more than you can handle or tackle? Hiring an assistant can greatly help, even on a temp basis, to help get you sorted and going can be highly beneficial. Have an area that needs help that you can’t even bear to de-clutter? Calling someone like Ms. Perry at Cash from Clutter can clear out the mess while bringing in some extra money from lost “treasures” hidden in the chaos.
Want to tackle it alone? Here are some pointers to help in the endeavor.
1. Dedicate the time to get organized
2. Remove all unnecessary items from space–donate, toss, etc.
3. Make space functionable for its purpose by implenting designated spots for items, filing cabinets for files, hard drive/burned discs for backed up files/client work a coat rack for employee jackets, a cabinet in the bathroom for clean supplies and toilet tissue, a wire basket for incoming/out going mail.
4. Keep a daily planner/calender (phsycial) for important dates, meetings, and such–make sure there is a copy of one that is available to put in your work bag or purse–it is great to have those addresses and such on hand, with times, so you won’t have to rush back to the office to check your computer on how to get to the location.
5. Once an item has been used, put it away in its proper place. remember, a place for everything and everything in its place.
6. Keep floors and walk ways clear of debris and other items. If storage of items, say stock of product, have an allocated space for such items–properly labeled. Keeping the floors and walk ways clear will not only prevent tripping accidents it will allow for clients and visitors better access to your office/space and allow the area to look/be neater, cleaner.
7. Shelving works great for limited spaces and allows for an easy glance of what is where, makeing easy access. Placing items more frequently used in one area will be beneficial.
8. Toss out items as they become broken or worn out, such as pens, scraps of doodle paper, adn such. Trash build up is often in forms of some items, not large, accruing easily.
9. Color-code items according to theme. That way it doesn’t take 4 hours of reading all labels to find what you need.
10. Make it a habit to keep the work space, home, office, neat and tidy–from the drawers to the floors.
Remember, a place for everything and everything in its place.
- Gestalt as You Are (jandeelstra.com)
- KUM Pencut Is a Travel Pair of Scissors (That Won’t Destroy Your Bag) [Stuff We Like] (lifehacker.com)
- Style For Style: A Cutting Edge Solution to Slippery Soles (fabsugar.com)
- Style For Style: Peds Problems Be Gone! (fabsugar.com)
- Illustrating Gestalt Shifts: “Wolverine or 2 Batmen” (freethoughtblogs.com)
- Gestalt Prayer . . . (psikita.wordpress.com)
- open a file which name is contained in a variable (stackoverflow.com)
- Travel Tips for Missionaries – Stay Organized (farthestoceans.wordpress.com)
- Cut Out Placemats (cutoutandkeep.net)
- Change find and replace every iteration (stackoverflow.com)
- Anthropologie Swoops Ruffian For Collab (fabsugar.com)
- Self-Esteem Starts With Self-Awareness (jandeelstra.com)
- peeling the pavilion. (modernloom.wordpress.com)
- A Man Who Believed in People (halsmith.wordpress.com)
- eGestalt Listed Among Top 10 Enterprise Security Companies by SiliconIndia (prweb.com)
- Twitter co-founder Dorsey’s advice to young innovators (news.cnet.com)
- Wardrobe Magician Shops the Boticca Closet (boticca.com)
- Closet Cleanse (fabsugar.com)
- Walk-in closets – living in a more organized home! (holidayhometimes.com)
- Closet Clean-up (teachinstyle.wordpress.com)
- 50 Killer Ikea Hacks to Transform Your Home Office (onlinecollege.org)
- Three Steps to Organizing Your Closet – My New Book! (1-2-3getorganized.blogspot.com)
- How To Design A Walk In Closet (answers.com)
- Spring Cleaning: Storing Seasonal Items (thehappyhousewife.com)
- 7 High-End Products To Organize Your Closet (organizingla.com)
- Closet Space-Savers and Organizers (1-2-3getorganized.blogspot.com)
Music comes in as much variety as the human race has to offer. Spicing up your day, or weekdays, with different themes of music can greatly change, alter the way a person designs. Stuggeling with a component in your layouts? Alter the music tempo. Feeling stressed? Listen to instrumental with a easy feel about it. Need to be perked up, after a long night of finishing up a campaign/project for a tedious client? Reggae is awesome.
Clink on Elephants Wind to get a great list of songs, established, to give yourself a bit of variety–subscribe to list via the link (courtesy of YouTube) to continue to listen to the song list and see the new song updates.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=FLmCaf_S0KPHGQGMLDS-0lKA&hl=en_US” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
- Inspiring Visual to Music – Part 2 (elephantswind.wordpress.com)
- Bahamian Reggae: Willis and the Illest (repeatingislands.com)
- The Weekly Music Muse (juiapte.wordpress.com)
- Music: Complicated Overture (from Last Past the Post) (ringingtrue.net)
- How slavery spawned modern day music (snx1337.wordpress.com)
- Bob Marley et al: Jamaica (marleyarkives.wordpress.com)
- International Music Sensation J Boog has Second #1 Release with Mango Music Management (prweb.com)
- Peter Tosh: He’s The Toughest (marleyarkives.wordpress.com)
- Loudlee is like Pinterest for Music (and men can use it too) (go2web20.net)
- Music to Work by – a tuneful Design (elephantswind.wordpress.com)
- Of Music and Inspiration… (mikefazio.wordpress.com)
- Chris Brown Debuts Music Video For Turn Up The Music! (perezhilton.com)
- Chris Brown – “Turn Up the Music” (Official Music Video) (worldaccordingtomonte.com)
- Inspiration: Listen Up, Tune In (elephantswind.wordpress.com)
- Inspired Design Extends from Accommodations to Guest’s Ears at Austin’s Hotel Saint Cecilia (prweb.com)
- “There is no music in a rest, but there is the making of music in it.” ~ John Ruskin (feedthebeauty.com)
- National Learn to Play Day on Saturday March 31st, 2012 (geardiary.com)
- Scientists say human race will be extinct within 100 years (disclose.tv)
- OddGrooves Releases Reggae Drum Loops Pack (prweb.com)